Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Portland Purpose (Which is Also my Life Purpose)

Last week I shared about an opportunity (read: That Time I Went to Portland) that I have to travel to Portland as an intern from Abilene Christian University through a program at my school called World Wide Witness, an organization that sends students out all over the world, both internationally and domestically, so that ministry is experienced, people are served, and Jesus is made much of. WWW has hooked me up with an internship in Portland, Oregon in which I will Lord-willing be working alongside Agape Church of Christ. I'll be serving under the ministers there (both male and female), growing in my knowledge of theology as I teach people about the Bible and receive teaching, and planning events throughout the summer for the church members.

All of these are aspects of the summer that I am very much looking forward to, but perhaps my favorite is this: I will get to work alongside a ministry at Agape that aims to serve and love men and women who have been or still are involved with prostitution, sex-trafficking, and/or domestic violence. Agape works to bring freedom to any that are captive through working with local agencies to help people, protect victims, and call abusers to repentance and behavior modification. The church itself also works to teach people about the identity of a person that can be found in Jesus, an identity of empowerment, restoration, and healing.

Agape is a church that also works to empower women, children, and others who are often marginalized within society and even within the Church. This concept of marginalization is one that is seen all over the world-not only in Portland. It's a concept that all of us partake in at times, because that's the nature of humanity. We draw circles around groups of people and allow social barriers to divide us. We marginalize those that are different from us, those that we pick and choose to love (or to not). Jesus calls us higher, however. He calls us to be unified, calls us to love, calls us to all be participants in the kingdom of God, and this is one huge purpose that Agape works toward.

This is one purpose that I want to work toward not only during the summer but throughout my life. As I return to Abilene in the fall to complete my last year of my undergraduate, I want to be working toward this purpose. As I Lord-willing return to Haiti in my future to serve the men, women, and children of the nation I want to spend my life for such a glorious purpose. As I go throughout each day of my life I want to be living out such a calling: to be working with God to unify, redeem, and restore humanity in the name of Jesus. This is my internship purpose, my Portland purpose, my life purpose.

I will be traveling to Portland to engage in all of these experiences and more. More importantly, however, is an experience much simpler and that is merely living life among beautiful people so that together we may learn more about the God who unifies us, who draws us to Him in sweet surrender.

If you feel so led, you may donate to my fundraising to travel to and work in Portland this summer by clicking on the yellow donate button on the right side of my blog. My goal is $2000. Whether you feel led to donate financially or not, I ask you to please support me prayerfully. This door is one that God has swung wide open, and I'm beyond excited for all that He's got in store and all that this summer holds.

Peace,

Lauren