Saturday, April 12, 2014

When We Were Blues Dancers

Last night I found myself in the main room of an Orthodox church on the south side of Abilene ready, or not so ready, to try my hand at the blues. It was randomly adventurous, but much of my life seems to be. The times are endless that I find myself in a situation thinking 'well, this is unexpected'. Funnily enough it is often in the unexpected places and spaces that God shows up.

I'm not fond of dancing, really.

At least that's what I would've said before last night. The only reason why I found myself in the middle of a blues atmosphere yesterday evening was because my friend Bonnie goes every Friday night, and she'd asked me to come along. Well, why not.

So I went, only knowing we were going dancing. I hadn't thought to ask details; I just assumed it would be country two-stepping since we live in Abilene and most people do that sort of thing. Western dancing is my least favorite, but I guess I figured Bonnie and I could make it a fun time or something.

Upon arrival I was a bit puzzled. An orthodox church? How random. As we entered the room I noticed the dress-code.

Ballet flats and dress shoes. Swingy dresses and hipster fedoras.

Not a pair of cowboy boots in sight, which was fine by me since I don't own a pair anyway.

Grinning wide and eyes sparkling Bonnie turned to me and declared 'we're gonna dance the blues!'

We're gonna dance the blues.

Oh, sweet Jesus this was gonna be a fun time.

I learned how to swing dance at a wedding once, and that was an absolute blast. There's an attractiveness to how carefree it all is. Last year I found myself in the midst of a salsa dancing lesson by accident (yes, I'm serious) and though it was more challenging it was still enjoyable. Two-stepping seems a bit monotonous and boring to me, but put me in the midst of a rhythm-centered and carefree environment and I'll likely embrace it arms open wide. There's a bit of freedom in places such as these.

This wasn't always my mindset. I used to hate dancing of all sorts. It felt too vulnerable, too free. It meant laying myself on the line and taking risks. Somewhere along the way I learned that risks are worth it, if only because they grow us. We can't live our whole lives indoors.

We're meant to step out into the wilderness.

'Not all who wander are lost'. Thanks, Tolkien.

So last night I wandered with the blues. I felt the pulse within the music. I let the aesthetic movements sweep me away.

Slow drag. Ballroom. Cakewalk strut.

You can't think about it too much. Sometimes you just have to let yourself feel, allow the beat to naturally draw you in.

Sometimes you have to improvise.

And you always have to follow.

In blues dancing, there's always a lead. The lead guides the follow, and this was at first awkward to me because I kept trying to control the dance. The job of the follow is exactly how it sounds: to follow. I had to trust the lead, had to allow myself to be led into dips and twists, turns and throws.

Once I found that sweet spot of trust, the entire dance became smooth and how it was meant to be.

I had to trust my lead, otherwise our movements would be choppy and separate rather than fluid and together. In a sense we both trusted each other: I trusted for guidance and the lead trusted that I would follow. With mutual trust, the dance felt natural. Our movements matched the music.

God is like this.

I call myself a Christ-follower, but too often do I try to lead. As Christians we often ask ourselves what to do or how to live, but perhaps that's the wrong question. Instead, we should be asking this: what is God already doing?

How is God moving?

And how can I fall into step?

We need to feel the beat. We need to find the pulse. We need to follow His lead.

It's a scary question ask, a vulnerable thing to inquire: am I moving with God?

It intimidates me, this question, because it means that I must trust that God knows best. It means that I must admit that He knows what He's doing.

It means that I'm surrendering myself. I'm willingly asking Him to take me on a jazzy adventure, one filled with dips and spins and twists and turns.

I want to live this way though, because in the midst of these spirit movements is freedom. Out on the dance floor is where heaven collides with earth, where harmony sings sweet and melodious music plays.

When we dance with God, we find restoration and life. We find redemption and authenticity. We find bravery and courage. When we move with God, we find that we are truly jumping on board with the movement that Jesus started, because when we move with God we find that we want others to join in on the dance, too. When we step in time with God, we find that we not only walk but we leap where our trust is without borders.

We find that we're made to move, made to take risks and progress and grow and trust and love.

We find that we're all made to dance the blues.